Welcome to my blog! I'm hoping you'll find the content to be fun, funny, and informative!
Our last day was a hectic one because we were trying to get in everything we hadn't already done. For one thing, we put off going to the observatory and getting opals to the last day...so our main goal for our last day was to make it over to the area called
The Rocks, where we were supposed to be able to find some good opals, and where the observatory was housed. Of course I wanted to get the opals first as the stores keep weird hours around here...but the observatory was only open till 5...which I think is a bit odd for an observatory as the night sky is much more fun to look at for the average visitor so we had to work all of that out. I'll let Rob share more about the observatory but I have some pics I'll post.
I also wanted to make it to
Watson's Bay and was told it was a nice place to have lunch so we rushed out and bought a day tripper pass (which allowed us to take all of the public transportation but the monorail for the entire day) and headed over to Watson's Bay. I also wanted to get to Bondi but we didn't make it there.

Watson's Bay was a quaint little place and had quite a few areas to hike to, including a light house that would have been fun but since it was our last day, we were in a hurry to get opals and get to the observatory before it was time to go to a fancy dinner at the opera house. We couldn't leave without doing a little bit of hiking so we walked up one side of "
The Gap." It had some very pretty views. That second picture is the other side of The Gap.


We finally decided we should have some lunch, even though we'd had a big breakfast not too long before. We went to this restaurant right on the beach and had a very nice seafood lunch, which I guess was more like an appetizer to most because the woman called it a "light lunch." It was just enough for us. This next picture is the view from our table. That's Sydney off in the distance.

We seemed to be running this entire day and it started with us running to catch the ferry back to Sydney. It was turning into a bit of a dreary day, but other than hoping it was clear for the
Observatory, the weather was a welcome change because it'd been hot for most of our trip.

We got back to the Rocks and finally ended up getting some opals. The sales girl was very nice and talked to us about visiting the states and helped us pick out some nice stones. The only thing that I wasn't aware of was that I wouldn't be able to see my opals again until I got home...or at least through Australian customs. I did wait till I got home though. Good thing I got a good look at them before she packed them up!
I had made Rob do research on buying opals the night before, figuring he'd remember that stuff better than I would. So...if you're ever looking to buy some opals, just let him know! LOL Finally it was time to get to the observatory. We sort of strolled but then as we got closer we realized we could make it in time for the next show..once again, we were off and running! The woman at the front desk even realized we'd been running and pointed us to some water in a soda machine...stating it was the cheapest water in Sydney. She was right, we should have stocked up!!
Here is a pic from the observatory. I felt it'd be appropriate to wear my JPL sweatshirt on this visit...but I look mad in this picture. I didn't realize Rob was taking it, so look at the Observatory, not me! =) Hopefully Rob will post more about that experience so I'll leave it to him.

We decided after running around all day that we were really tired and did not necessarily want to go back to the hotel and change into nice clothes to have a nice dinner at the Opera House. I wish we had gotten back to the Opera House at some point but I didn't have to have a really $$ dinner to say I'd eaten there. Since we'd purchased the day tripper and could still use it, Rob asked what I wanted to do and I said that I'd enjoyed
Manly and wanted to go back. Sooooo, we went to Manly and after walking around for quite awhile trying to figure out where to eat, we happened upon a restaurant that looked like it was a favorite of locals. It was called Zinc. Let me tell you, we found a great restaurant. It was probably the best meal we had in all of Australia. We also had our best bottle of wine there. We took a picture of the bottle because it was cool.

This wine was fermented in stainless steel. I have no idea if this had something to do with why it was so good, but it was GREAT, and I don't really even like wine...or maybe it's just that I don't like cheap wine! =)
After our dinner in Manly we decided to head back as we had an early flight to Melbourne the next morning and we still had to pack. Many nights on our journey back to the hotel we seemed to find ourselves back at the
Circular Quay train station and also found ourselves sitting on the same bench waiting for the train...so we took a picture of it on the last night.

Next, we're off to Melbourne. Goodbye Sydney, we will miss you.